Spaghetti and Meatballs
Time: 1 Hour
• 1 Package of Vegtago Cheddar Cheese (warmed)
• 1 can of black beans
• 4 garlic cloves- minced
• 1 large yellow onion- chopped
• 1 package of cremini mushrooms (around 227 grams per package)- sliced
• ½ cup of gluten-free rolled oats
• 2 tsp of soy-free soy sauce (or 1 tsp if you’re using regular soy sauce)
• 2 tbsp of tomato paste
• 2 tsp dried basil
• 2 tsp dried oregano
• 2 celery stacks- chopped
• 1 can of diced tomatoes
• Olive Oil
• Salt and pepper (to taste)
1. Were going to first start by preparing the meatballs and then the spaghetti sauce. Begin by chopping ½ of the large onion into smallish cubes and mince 2/4 garlic cloves.
2. Strain and rinse the can of black beans. Add them to a medium-sized mixing bowl and use a fork or potato masher to mash them.
3. In a large skillet, heat approximately 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is warmed, add the onions and minced garlic. Sauté the onions for 6-8 minutes, until they are perfectly caramelized (our secret to perfect caramelized onion it to be constantly moving the onions while sautéing). Add a dash of salt and pepper.
4. Once the onions are ready, place them into the same bowl as the black beans. Add 1 tbsp of tomato paste, 2 tsp of soy-free soy sauce, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp basil, the rolled oats and a dash of salt and pepper. Mix everything thoroughly.
5. Shape the meatballs into circles, however large or small you would like. Lay them on parchment paper.
6. Preheat the oven to 400 F and bake the meatballs for about 15 minutes.
1. Chop the remaining half of the onion into cubes and mince the other 2 garlic cloves. Heat approximately 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
2. Sauté the onions for 5-7 minutes, until they have softened and then add the celery. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
3. Continuing sautéing until the celery has slightly softened (about 5 minutes). Next, add 1 tbsp of tomato paste and sauté for an additional 3 minutes.
4. Next, add in the can of diced tomatoes and reduce the heat to medium-low. At this time, add in 1 tsp of oregano and 1 tsp of basil. Cook for about 3 minutes before adding the sliced mushrooms. Add a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
5. Allow the pasta sauce to simmer while you prepare the pasta.
6. When everything is ready, put it all together and add our cheddar cheese on top!
7. Serve and Enjoy!
We find that our cheddar cheese works best with this dish when it is heated up, we recommend either warming it in a pot over medium-low heat or by simply transferring it into a bowl and warming it for 30-45 seconds in the microwave!
– – These meatballs can be baked, fried or both! We baked ours first and then transferred them to a skillet with olive oil and fried them until we got the crispy texture we desired (this will add about 5 or 6 extra minutes to the total cook time).