Mini Gyro Pizza
We had a hard time finding soy-free, gluten-free and vegan naan bread and so, we decided to use mini pitas and turn them into mini “gyro” pizzas!
Time: 25 Minutes
• 1 cup of Vegtago Cheddar Cheese
• Pita bread or naan bread
• 2 Large portabella mushrooms- sliced
• 4 Tbsp of Soy-free soy sauce
• 1 tsp of ground cumin
• ½ tsp of sugar
• ½ tsp of dried oregano
• 2 garlic cloves- minced
• ½ a medium red onion – diced
• ½ a yellow bell pepper- diced
• Spinach- chopped
1. Start by preparing the mushrooms. Remove stems and slice them small-medium.
2. Prepare the marinade by combining soy sauce, cumin, sugar, and oregano. Mix and then submerge the portabella mushrooms. Marinate them while preparing the other ingredients
3. Next, heat approximately 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil has warmed up add the bell peppers. Sauté the peppers for 5 minutes, then add in the onions and garlic. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
4. Add the portabella mushrooms and the marinade to the pan. Sauté for 10-15 minutes (We like our bell peppers and onions to be very soft, so we always cook them longer.)
5. When the vegetables are ready, prepare the pita bread by first adding a layer of our Cheddar Cheese (the cheese taste even better warmed up, so we always warm the cheese for 40 seconds in the microwave.)
6. Layer the pita by then adding some spinach leaves chopped up, then the mushrooms and the peppers and onions.
7. Complete the mini gyro pizza by garnishing with cilantro! Serve and enjoy.
– You can also make this on larger pita bread to make a larger gyro pizza!
– If you use naan bread, assemble the gyro and wrap it. Use a toothpick to hold it together.