Time: 1 Hour
· Vegtago Cheddar Cheese
· 1 Cup of BBQ sauce
· 1 package of cremini mushrooms
· 2 garlic cloves- minced
· 1 medium-small sized eggplant- chopped into small cubes
· 1 medium yellow bell pepper- cubed
· 1 medium yellow onion- cubed
· 1 can of diced tomatoes
· 2 tbsp of tomato paste
· 2 tbsp of soy free soy sauce (or 1 tbsp if you’re using regular soy sauce)
· 1 tbsp of chili powder
· 1 tbsp of paprika
· 2 tbsp corn starch
· 1 tbsp of cumin
· Salt and pepper to taste
· Olive Oil
1. Heat approximately 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Once the oil has warmed up, add the onions and garlic. Sauté until they are caramelized then add a dash of salt.
2. Next, add the peppers, mushrooms and eggplant. Sauté until all the vegetables begin to soften. Around 10-15 minutes. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
3. Add the tomato paste, the soy sauce and the rest of the spices. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the can of diced tomatoes. Increase the temperature to high then mix in tbsp of corn starch. Use your spatula and make light chopping motions to break apart the tomatoes and any big chunks of vegetables. Add a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
4. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Allow to simmer for about 40 minutes, before adding the BBQ sauce.
5. Mix thoroughly. Let simmer for an additional 7-10 minutes before serving.
6. Assemble the sloppy joe sandwich by layering bread and of course….. lots and lots of CHEESE!
We always recommend heating up our Vegtago cheddar cheese before using it, especially for dishes like this where you want nice warm melty cheese!